Texas Addiction Counseling Schools & Licensure Information



Under section 140.408 of the Texas Administrative Code (TAC), to be eligible for licensure as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, a person must submit an application and fulfill various internship and education requirements. Persons interested in becoming a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) must attain an associate degree or higher in human behavior and complete 4,000 hours of clinical supervision working with chemically dependent clients.


Candidates for licensure must also:

  • Pass a written examination
  • Submit a case study to a test proctor
  • Pass an oral examination
  • Pubmit two letters of recommendation from other licensed counselors
  • Provide written proof that the applicant has access to a peer assistance program
  • Pay any associated fees


For more information on LCDC licensing requirements, please visit The Texas Administrative Code website:



The Texas Department of State Health Services:




Schools in Texas Offering Substance Abuse or Addiction Counseling Programs

Several colleges and universities in Texas provide students with the opportunity to acquire certificates and degrees in addictions and chemical dependency counseling.


The University of North Texas

The University of North Texas is accredited by numerous organizations and offers an undergraduate Substance Abuse Treatment Certificate, visit their program here:


The University of Texas-Pan American

The University of Texas-Pan American is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Rehabilitative Services with an Addiction Concentration: http://portal.utpa.edu/utpa_main/daa_home/uaac_home/uaac_students/students_degreeplans/degreeplan_cohshs#rs-ac


Austin Community College

Austin Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and offers three programs in addiction counseling:

An Associate of Applied Science degree in Addictions Counseling


A Certificate in Addictions Counseling


A Certificate in Addictions Counseling in the Criminal Justice System